Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Gabe's 10th Birthday Cake



The Cake
This year we got into watching Cake Boss. Gabe decided that he wanted a "Wedding Cake" for his Birthday cake. He wanted tiers. I went out and bought some Fondant....and ended up using it once I read a lot of reviews that most people peeled off the fondant because they didn't like it. While on line I found a recipe for Modeling Chocolate. Instead that is what I ended up covering his cake with. It could of come out better...but this will do for a first try. Caleb helped put on the green sides and did all the light blue spheres at the base of the cake. I had intended for it to be one of those topsy turvy type cakes ...but when putting on the second layer...I had had enough of baking bake. Hello there are only 8 people eating it...LOL. It is a lot of cake! The 2nd layer I should of made the circumference smaller, but oh well. Gabe loves it! When he got home (there was only green on the side and the first layer)...he was thrilled. "More than he expected" he said. LOL Guess his expectations are not as high as mine are...LOL. Either way both the boys had fun (me too) putting this together.

3 comments:

  1. This is a cake that invites celebration...made me smile as soon as I saw it. I may try the modeling chocolate myself one day...HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GABE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to believe that Gabe is 10!! Remember when he was newborn and you brought him to painting class. I had to laugh at the "Wedding Cake" request!! Have you seen the cricut for cakes?? Think Gabe will want you to get one. You can make some fabulous cakes with it!!

    Happy Birthday Gabe!

    O A B

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Modeling chocolate would be great to use as an accent on any cake or cookies. You could even give it to kids to play with like play doh...and they could eat it...LOL. Very easy to make! MB...I did see the Cricut for cakes! That would be a fun to have!

    ReplyDelete